Bill of lading going to different countries

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
GFC
First Name: LV
Last Name: LV
Organization: GCF
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Bill of lading going to different countries

Post by GFC » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Issuing bank in UK
customer from Nigeria.

Usually all negotiation documents (including the Bill of Lading) are sent and endorsed to the issuing bank (in UK), I have an LC in which the customer is wanted us to send the negotiation docs to one of their branches IN Nigeria (that where the customer resides). Notice that the LC was opened in UK. Have any of you had a situation like that? and how did you resolve it? See the wording below.

.ALL NEGOTIATION DOCUMENTS AND OR SHIPPING DOCUMENTS (AS MAY BE
APPLICABLE), MUST BE ROUTED FROM THE BENEFICIARY/SUPPLIER TO THE
Issuing BANK in UK LIMITED

but then it states under a different item the following:

A CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE BENEFICIARY STATING THAT ONE
ORIGINAL COMBINED CERTIFICATE OF VALUE AND ORIGIN (CCVO) ON FORM
C.16,ONE ORIGINAL AND ONE COPY OF CLEAN/SHIPPED ON BOARD OCEAN
BILL OF LADING, ONE ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL INVOICE, ONE ORIGINAL
PACKING LIST AND ONE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURERS CERTIFICATE OF
PRODUCTION STATING THE STANDARDS ADOPTED HAVE BEEN FORWARDED TO
a branch in Nigeria.

BHAUTIK1982
First Name: BHAUTIK
Last Name: SHAH
Organization: EXCEL

Post by BHAUTIK1982 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:26 pm

As per clause, you have to send CCVO 16 IN One Original and one copy of the same, copy of bill of lading, One Original Commercial Invoice, One Original Packing List and one original Manufacturers certificate of Production to be sent in the branch in Nigeria. Here, you have to present the beneficiary certificate alongwith shipping documents which fulfil the LC clause.

Here, you do not have to send Original b/l to the branch in Nigeria. All original b/l and other required documents to be routed through bank mentioned in the LC.

A CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE BENEFICIARY STATING THAT ONE
ORIGINAL COMBINED CERTIFICATE OF VALUE AND ORIGIN (CCVO) ON FORM
C.16,ONE ORIGINAL AND ONE COPY OF CLEAN/SHIPPED ON BOARD OCEAN
BILL OF LADING, ONE ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL INVOICE, ONE ORIGINAL
PACKING LIST AND ONE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURERS CERTIFICATE OF
PRODUCTION STATING THE STANDARDS ADOPTED HAVE BEEN FORWARDED TO
a branch in Nigeria.

Other comments appreciated.

picant

Just to answer...

Post by picant » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi Pal,

probably the cargo arrives at Nigerian port before documents, so in order to avoid port costs the buyer need essential documentation to clear the goods. We have similar problems with meditherranean Countries. we require that bill of lading must be consigned to the order of issuing bank, in the way that only the bank will endorse it and let the buyer take the cargo. Your case is more complicated but I think beneficiary may require a bill of lading consigned to the order of issuing bank without indicating head office or branch. The carrier will deliver the goods under original bill of lading duly endorsed by the bank.
Country risk a part.
Other comments appreciated.

GFC
First Name: LV
Last Name: LV
Organization: GCF

Post by GFC » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:41 pm

I appreciate your comments. I'll be talking to my bank today to determine how to go about it. What you have explained makes sense and I understand why the customer is wanting to get an original B/L and other docs in Nigeria. I'll post back once we know how to proceed. There is a good chance we'll only send all docs to the issuing bank only. UK.