Copies of Invoice and Packing List not presented

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
DarkKnight
First Name: Saif
Last Name: Ali
Organization: NBK
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Post by DarkKnight » Wed May 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Dear Comrades,

Instead of presented 3/3 Invoice and Packing List, the beneficiary presented 2/2 Invoice and Packing List which were forwarded to the issuing bank. The issuing bank came back with a discrepancy stating documents were not presented in required numbers.

Is this a legitimate discrepancy?

We feel this a lousy observation by the issuing bank. Any comments on their observation.

Thanks

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

discrepancy...

Post by Navi » Wed May 04, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi,

The presentation must include the number of originals and copies as stipulated in the credit. Therefore, issuing bank has the right to raise discrepancy.

But in this case, I didnot understand the number of originals/copies requested. By stating 3/3 invoice, does it mean 3 original 3 copies? or only 3 originals? or sth different?

If the originals were presented in the required number and only copies of some documents are missing, in my opinion, issuing bank on its sole discreation, may not raise discrepancy and produce copies for some documents like PL or WL or the like, which does not require any signature, authentication, visa or to be printed on a special paper.

other comments will be appreciated

regards

DarkKnight
First Name: Saif
Last Name: Ali
Organization: NBK

Post by DarkKnight » Thu May 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello Navi,

Thanks for your response.

there was a requirement of 3 invoice and 3 packing list.

An original of both the invoice and packing list was produced. Instead of adding 2 copies/photocopys of each document to the original, the beneficiary added only one copy. The issuing bank could have easily taken a photocopy and NOT raised this flimsy discrepancy.

Is there a way we can counter this discrepancy? Or is the bank finding ways to delay the payment?

Other comments appreciated

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

request for waiver of discrepancy

Post by Navi » Thu May 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Hello Saif,

Issuing bank will probably insist on the discrepancy for the missing copies of the documents and delay payment for a few days but I don't think more as the discrepancy is not a structural one that may effect the fate of transaction.

A message to issuing bank requesting waiver of discrepancy and direct contact of beneficiary to applicant for the case may help to settle the matter earlier.

Regards

quang
First Name: minh
Last Name: nguyen
Organization: HSBC bank

Post by quang » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:34 pm

I think if the presentation lack original document, it's discrepant. if the presentation lack copy of document, the bank may produce a photocopy and not raise discrepancy

hainam
First Name: nguyen
Last Name: hainam
Organization: SH bank

Post by hainam » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:11 pm

I often produce a photocopy for my Applicant and not raise discrepancy for Ben if a presentation lack only photocopy

kishorp
First Name: kishor
Last Name: kishor
Organization: chemical industry

Post by kishorp » Sat May 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Atleast 1 original is required in this case when no. Of original not mentioned.
And it is discripancy.
However issuing bank can take photocopy but why they will do so when they have given the instruction.
Other comment appreciate

picant

Intelligent screening, but...

Post by picant » Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 am

Hi Pals,

originals have a sense if stated the number of originals, otherwise you are not aware how many origials have been issued, however original document may be necessary for the customs, some authorities, etc and partial presentation may caused some problems. For copies, I agreed on the possibility of issuing bank to make a fotocopy without lifting a reserve(but in hard case a bank may use this possibility.....