Insurance Dated After Shipment But Include Shipment Details

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Md.zakir Hossen

Insurance Dated After Shipment But Include Shipment Details

Post by Md.zakir Hossen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:38 am

Dear experts tell me and explain:
An insurance documentdated later than the shipment date as evidenced on the transport document but includes details of the shipment i.e., date, name of vessel etc. Is this evidence of insurance being effective as of the date of shipment?

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Re: Insurance date

Post by nesarul » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:39 pm

Dear Zakir Vai,
First of all, I don't know whether other people in this forum are expert or not, But I know I am a learner. Pls rectify me, If i am in wrong track.
This insurance document is not acceptable.
thanks]
nesar

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum

Post by shahriar » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:01 pm

dear zakir bhai,

to be acceptable, the doc must explicitly express that it is effective from the date of shipment

regd

shahriar

Mehdi

Post by Mehdi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:05 pm

Though they consider themselves as learners, their interpretation is more than professional nature. As such they are experts. Aren't they?

Regards..........Mehdi

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum

Post by shahriar » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 pm

dear friends,

i was thinking on the answer i posted last time on this topic. i said on that occasion
to be acceptable, the doc must explicitly express that it is effective from the date of shipment
now i have a question to make. UCP 28e says
e. The date of issuance of the insurance document must be no later than the date of shipment, unless it appears from the insurance document that the cover is effective from a date not later than the date of shipment.
again UCP 28 f iii
the insurance document must indicate that risks are covered at least between the place of taking in charge or shipment and the place of discharge or final destination as stated in the credit.
if my understanding is correct, then there is no use of 28e if 28fiii is there. because so far i know, cargo insurance is not a ordinary insurance. its related to the goods and occur only once in a period. therefore if the insurance document says that it is covering the risk between port a to b, the risk is automatically covered when goods are on board or even at the CY.

do you agree?

shahriar