Meaning Of "The First Beneficiary Is Not Considered To Be A Subsequent Beneficiary."

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shafi865
First Name: S. M. Shafiqur
Last Name: Rahman, CDCS
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd.
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Meaning Of "The First Beneficiary Is Not Considered To Be A Subsequent Beneficiary."

Post by shafi865 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:54 pm

Dear All,

According to UCP 600 sub-article 38d) ''A transferred credit cannot be transferred at the request of a second beneficiary to any subsequent beneficiary. The first beneficiary is not considered to be a subsequent beneficiary.''

Please clear me the second sentence "The first beneficiary is not considered to be a subsequent beneficiary." Does it means that second beneficiary is able to transfer the 'Transferred LC' to the first beneficiary ?

Regards,
Shafique

dinesh2476
First Name: Dinesh Kumar
Last Name: ...
Organization: Chrome
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Re-transfer of LC

Post by dinesh2476 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi Shafique,

I think the below clause talks about re-transfer of credit. If the transferree is not ready to act under transferred credit. it may be inform transferring bank about the same. un-acted portion of the transferree now be advised to second new beneficiary upon request of the first beneficiary and willingness of the transferring bank to do so.

Thanks & Regards
Dinesh Kumar

picant

My experience

Post by picant » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:07 am

Hi Pal,

I have this experience, we issue a l/c for interesting amount, we ask the transferring bank to
indicate the various transfers, we noted three different sub l/c, i.e. LC A for XXX to A, LC B
for XXX to B, LC C for XXX to C, covering the full supply. After few weeks B renonced and re transfer
its XXX to the transferring bank, so reinstalting the amount for a new second beneficiary.
This action illustrated to me, the wording of suct UCP article.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao