Why Freight Forwarder Bill Of Lading Is Not Acceptable?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Md.zakir Hossen

Why Freight Forwarder Bill Of Lading Is Not Acceptable?

Post by Md.zakir Hossen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:29 pm

I see following clause in a credit.
Freight Forwarder BL presented not acceptable.
what is the intention behind the words? Is it merely that the bill of lading cannot be issued on the letterhead of the freight forwarder?or other

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Re: Freight Forwarder BL presented not acceptable.

Post by nesarul » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Dear Zakir bhai,
There are some clauses which have been incorporated in a letter of credit without having any meaning. This is one of them. As we know according to sub article 14(l):'

"A transport document may be issued by any party other than a carrier, Owner, Master or Charterer provided that the transport document MEETS THE REQUIREMENT OF ARTICLES 19,20,21,22,23 OR 24 OF THESE RULES [EMPHASIS ADDED]

so still if a fraight forwarder bill of lading presented which meets the requirement of the terms and conditions of the credit and article 20 of UCP is acceptable.
Moreover UCP is not concerned about the issuer of a transport document or title of the documents, UCP concerns about the requirement of the respective article according to the credit required transport document.
Thanks
nesar

Mehdi

Post by Mehdi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:17 am

Hi
Is there any legal footing favoring Freight forwarders to issue BL? What they issue is referred to as FCR, HBL, HAWB in the forwarding industry. Documents issued by forwarders will be accebptable only when the credits stipulate. Even local regulations in regards to export clearly specify when such documents issued by forwarders will be acceptable.

Regards..Mehdi

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum

Post by shahriar » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:07 pm

dear mehdi,

i think you are mixing up. air transport and see are governed by two different rules. you can not be the carrier in every case. it depends. again there are some cases where FF is the only solution. will try to discuss in more detail soon.

regds

shahriar

Mehdi

Post by Mehdi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:01 pm

In that case, the solution lies with MTO not with FF.

Regards.........Mehdi

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum

Post by shahriar » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:33 pm

dear mehdi,

sorry for not being able to communicate my thoughts to you. i wont go any further now since i need to confess that im too raw in transport articles. and from mr. tolee and kim i learned that UCP is not transport industry. it has its own rule. UCP merely try to go to it and failed in few cases. i have a medium term plan on transport issues to develop skill. till then i quit on this issue. hope someone else will help you.

regds

shahriar