Whether It Is Signed By Insurance Company Or Underwriter

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Whether It Is Signed By Insurance Company Or Underwriter

Post by Navi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi friends.

I have received a document headed "insurance under policy" from the nominated bank. It is printed on a clean A4 paper, presumably written with MS Word. It includes the required info.

However it is signed by company xxxxxxx, which I cannot determine whether it is insurance company, or underwriter or agent... Only written its name. Moreover, somewhere on the policy, it is written "in case of damage or loss see instructions on the back" however its back is blank... No contact number or adress of the company is stated on the document...

I will refuse this document as per UCP600 28a. Am I write? What else can I state as reason of discrepancy other than its way of sign?
Thnks and rgds

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Re: insurance policy?

Post by shahriar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:39 pm

dear navi,

UCP says
a. An insurance document, such as an insurance policy, an insurance certificate or a declaration under an open cover, must appear to be issued and signed by an insurance company, an underwriter or their agent or their proxies.

so its not like transport document where the company needs to declare its capacity. so the ways its signed its important.

any reference to other terms on the backside doesn't make it discrepant.

stationary used doesn't also make it discrepant. however as the document has no contact detail , i assume there is no other alternative stated in case of making claim. therefore the document is successfully restricting the right of the holder in due course. that makes it discrepant i think.

i will appreciate comments from other members

regd

shahriar