Bill Is Available At Buyers Bank, How Do We Collect Payment

Simple is Beautiful; the only thing came in my mind when thought of documentary collection. And I think more and more people are thinking the same in these days. Documentary Collection offers us far greater security than selling on open account; but not as much as a documentary credit. We should therefore be more cautious before starting selling using this method of payment. Documentary Collection Forum is an effort to help you on this way – admin; besttradesolution.com
Finance
First Name: Finance
Last Name: Finance
Organization: Finance
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Bill Is Available At Buyers Bank, How Do We Collect Payment

Post by Finance » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 pm

We have sent documents on a documentary collection to our clients buyers bank.

The bill was drawn by our client (as drawer) on the buyer (drawee)

The drawee's bank has sent us a message stating that the bill was accepted by the drawee.

Now our client is asking us to discount the bill, we are willing to do so, but in the past when we have discounted bills we have always had them in our physical possession. The drawer has endorsed the bill to order or to us.

Should we ask the buyers bank to courier the bill to us? If the bills is sent to us, but the bill is available at the buyers bank, how do we collect payment on maturity.

is there another mechanism for this that i am missing?

Finance

picant

It depends on....

Post by picant » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Pal,

IMHO, it depends on the drawer endorsement on the draft or bill of exchange, if it is a full endorsement in favour of the bank or "value for collection", in the first case having the bank the property of the draft a discount is ok, in the second case the draft belongs always to the drawer and may only be advanced.
Usually the instructions to the collecting bank are: Return the accepted draft; hold it for collection at maturity under advice of acceptance.(period of time to maturity permitting it)
Other comment appreciated
Ciao