Whats Is The Meaning Of Signed Invoice?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Whats Is The Meaning Of Signed Invoice?

Post by shahriar » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi!

I was going through the FAQ 1 18.5. its says that if the credit calls for a signed invoice in three copies, then one original and two copies will do. i was wondering that a signature makes a document original. whats you interpretation of this clause "signed invoice"?

regd

shahriar

iLC

Re: signed invoice

Post by iLC » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:57 pm

to the best of my knowledge, there has already been a good debate on this issue among the experts. most of them voted for one original and two copy based on the reason, there is no reason to submit more than one original invoice unless clearly stipulated in the credit.

iLC

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank

Post by cristiand969 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:35 pm

Dear ILC,
From your query I understand that you seek for a definition of 'signed invoice' applicable to copies. Well, we have to carefully consider the text of LC. From my point of view, the issuing bank wants to be sure that all invoices should bear a signature (existence of it regardless its form) whereas 2 copies should be presented in addition to 1 original.
This will mean:
1. presentation of one original and 2 copies: all 3 documents reproduced by printer all signed then one marked ORIGINAL and rest COPY,
or
2. Presentation of 1 signed original invoice and 2 photocopies of it.
In this was condition of LC is met.
regards
Cristian

dholat

Post by dholat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 pm

i think the answer lies in article 18a which says that a commercial invoice need not to be signed. hence a signature has no impact as far as originality of the invoice is concerned. thus the requirement for singed invoice in three copies will be served one original invoice and two copies.

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque

Post by nesarul » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Dear,
Let analyze the issue.[ may be irrelevant to the question, if it, pls ignore]
lets break down the issue:
There are two requirement from the issuing bank concerned:
1. signed invoice= this is probably modification of sub article 18(a)(iv) with an objective to have all invoice signed.
2.3 copies= the total no. of invoice required by the isuing bank.This objective can be achieved in any combination abide by sub article 17(a).
Your wondering part:
its says that if the credit calls for a signed invoice in three copies, then one original and two copies will do.
with a logic:
a signature makes a document original
My thinking:
This wondering part is come into light due to sub article 18(a)(iv) that a commercial invoice need not to be signed. and probably making inperfect correlation between original document and signed invoice.
But i think this clause will be wonderring if it drafts on credit as follows rather than your posting:
3 copies of SIGNED ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL invoice must be presented.
Here copies and signed original is conflictied.
Now how reconcile the above point???
regards
nesar

jmitra
First Name: jasmit
Last Name: mitra
Organization: bank

Post by jmitra » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:25 pm

dear nesar,

i really struggled to understand your point. anyway about your last point i think i will accept 3 photocopies of signed original invoice.

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum

Post by shahriar » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 pm

dear all,

what will be your opinion if the clause is written in this way

"one original and three copies of invoice, duly signed by the beneficiary"

regd

shahriar