Amendment-Beneficiary name

With the introduction of Uniform Rules for Documentary Guarantee or URDG 758, the rules for Documentary Guarantee seem to be popular again. It can be imagined from the increasing number of questions that have popped up in recent days. Documentary Guarantee Forum is an effort to develop a platform to discuss these questions.
Sabrina
First Name: Summer
Last Name: Bad
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Post by Sabrina » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Dear Experts,

Can the name of beneficiary be changed under guarantee?

In my view beneficiary name cannot be changed completely. If the applicant want to change the beneficiary name completely it should cancel the guarantee and issue new one. Guarantee is an undertaking of the bank to pay if the applicant default. Now when the undertaking given to the said beneficiary is to be changed, the bank should obtain the original copy of the guarantee. Some may argue that the bank after retention of original guarantee can issue another guarantee replacing the beneficiary name. But the guarantee is issued by the bank based on the underlying relationship. Now when it is to be issued in favour of new beneficiary, new contract is required. Similarly the bank may also have recorded the detail of first beneficiary in system. Hence in case of system audit, system should exhibit same details as in record file under same guarantee reference number.

I am not sure if my understanding is correct. Seek experts opinion.

Regards,
Nitin

Sabrina
First Name: Summer
Last Name: Bad
Organization: Bank

Post by Sabrina » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Comments appreciated !!

RAJNAGRE
First Name: RAJ
Last Name: NAGRE
Organization: JINDAL SAW GULF LLC

Beneficairy Name

Post by RAJNAGRE » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:15 pm

As per Banking rules there is no amendment possible in Bank Guarantee accept extension of time period.Raj Nagre :)

picant

Depending on the rules...

Post by picant » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Pals,

URDG 758 admit amendment and transferability, so I dont see hamper to modify beneficiary's name.
Other Rules or local laws may prohibit it.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao