ownership transfer without original B/L at port

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
PRAKASHSBL12345
First Name: PRAKASH
Last Name: RAYMAJHI
Organization: SIDDHARTHA BANK LTD.
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Post by PRAKASHSBL12345 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:09 pm

Dear Friends,
I have encountered a case of goods release at port without the original Bill of Lading requested by the shipping line as well as as the customer.
Pls suggest me what should i do , can i endorse the copy BL for the goods release at the port or deny the request till original is received at the banks counter.

What are the implications if i do as per the requirement of shipping line.

picant

Re: ownership transfer without original B/L at port

Post by picant » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:39 am

Hi Pal,

usually a bank issues a bank guarantee in favour of the carrier, under instruction of the latter,
Sometime a telex release for a surrendered bill of lading suffices.
Endorsement on a copy of bill of lading has, IMHO, no sense.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao

dinesh2476
First Name: Dinesh Kumar
Last Name: ...
Organization: Chrome

Post by dinesh2476 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi

Generally, banks ensure to keep their name in the consignee field to protect them from unexpected happenings unless there is a collateral-based LC opening. If there is cash collateral LC then the bank may think of releasing LC with consignee different name, if the practice in the applicant country to release the good without surrender the original bill of lading.

As picant rightly pointed out, the bank may think of releasing a shipping guarantee if there is a delay in receiving original documents and where the situation is goods already at the port of discharge earning customs charges

Thanks & Regards
Dinesh Kumar

FanTrade
First Name: Lica
Last Name: Mauer
Organization: Bank

Re: ownership transfer without original B/L at port

Post by FanTrade » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:39 am

The initiator of this topic say nothing about the consignee in BL and whether is a straight consigned or to order. Very few info to answer