typo error on goods description

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
ucp800
First Name: LEUNG
Last Name: KING SANG
Organization: WACHOVIA BANK N.A.
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

typo error on goods description

Post by ucp800 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Dear All,

May I ask for your opinion of the following case:

Invoice showing goods description:

At the upper part:
AA-250 Dinning Chair
Size of chair
H950 x W410 x D 390 mm

At the middle:

AA-250 Dinning Chair
Size of chair quantity unit price Amount
H995 x W410 x D 390 mm 1000 10 10000

The issuing bank raised the discrepancy “GOODS SIZE SHOWN AS 950 INSTEAD OF 995”. While the invoice shows 950 as a simple typo error, it also shows 995 correctly. All the other documents (e.g. BLs and packing lists) show 995. So, there is no doubt as to the size of the goods being 995 despite the simple typo error. The discrepancy is therefore invalid.

Please advise whether there is any ICC opinion supporting such typing error on goods description Is acceptable.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
ucp 800

magdydawood
First Name: Magdy
Last Name: Dawood
Organization: Arab Investment Bank

ucp800 ,typing error

Post by magdydawood » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Dear ucp800,
I have not reviewed all ICC opinions but I am sure that there is no ICC opinion supporting the acceptance of such invoice, because if there is such opinion it would conflict with sub-article 14(d) UCP600 and paragraph (25) ISBP 681.

berry

i agree

Post by berry » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:37 pm

i agree with the opinion. we can not allow anything in the name of typo. the typing error is only allowed as long as it does not change the meaning of the sentence. besides i also believe that a difference in number is always discrepant even if was in fact an typo. would like to hear from others as well

kirti
First Name: Kirti
Last Name: SAM
Organization: FRPS

same problem

Post by kirti » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:36 am

HI, friends,

I am facing the same problem
I have come across clauses, which clearly state that "Typographical Errors not altering qty. and invoice value are acceptable"

Currently, the Bank is pressurizing us to bank the docs on approval basis due to the following error:
IN my case the brand of the Product is "SKN 3345E"
But the LC shows as SKN 33445/E"

I have come across such cases, where the LC Draft prior to issuing LC is fine, but by the time our Bank receives the Original LC there is always some small error like the above

In such cases who determines, the correct product??
Should the Bank trust the applicant/Beneficiary as far as such technical words are concerned??

It's not like LC is showing Potatoes and we are shipping Tomatoes!! :))

Any comments???

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank

The best way

Post by cristiand969 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:05 pm

You should have contacted the applicant for instructing his bank to correct description of goods before shipping and billing the applicant.
It is the same as tomatoes versus potatoes because the different model means a merchandise not requested by applicant and it can in fact be at a lower price than the model ordered .
I am really sorry!