Can A Bank Refuse To Handle Documentary Collections

Simple is Beautiful; the only thing came in my mind when thought of documentary collection. And I think more and more people are thinking the same in these days. Documentary Collection offers us far greater security than selling on open account; but not as much as a documentary credit. We should therefore be more cautious before starting selling using this method of payment. Documentary Collection Forum is an effort to help you on this way – admin; besttradesolution.com
Elijah Wambua
First Name: Elly
Last Name: Wambua
Organization: CBA
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Post by Elijah Wambua » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Can a bank refuse to handle documentary collections because they have no correspondence relationship with the drawers bank?

picant

I Think so

Post by picant » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:47 am

Hi Pal,

I think that any bank has the possibility to refuse the collection if it has no fixed relationship with the remitting bank.
Due to the famous KYC, AML rules, embargoes etc , it remains difficult to act having no such information before operating.
Surely, the remitting bank sends documents to the collecting bank indicated by the seller under a buyer advice, so the bank will evaluate this situation with care.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao

Arun
First Name: Arun
Last Name: S
Organization: THM

I also think so

Post by Arun » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi

Agree with Picant in collections bank has all right to refuse a collection which the bank feels it is impossible for them to handle. If they do not have the correspondent relationship or the proper Swift Key arrangements etc., they can refuse stating not interested to handle the collection documents. This is my personal opinion.,

VAJAY26
First Name: AJAY
Last Name: VISHWAKARMA
Organization: BNP PARIBAS

Post by VAJAY26 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:26 am

Agree with Both Picant and Arun Bank can refuse to handle the documents without delay if they are not able to act on it.

LWCLTD
First Name: Eve
Last Name: Ng
Organization: LWC Ltd

Return of Documents

Post by LWCLTD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Arun wrote:Hi

Agree with Picant in collections bank has all right to refuse a collection which the bank feels it is impossible for them to handle. If they do not have the correspondent relationship or the proper Swift Key arrangements etc., they can refuse stating not interested to handle the collection documents. This is my personal opinion.,
Based on your comment and if receiving bank do not have proper Swift Key arrangement with the remitting bank, how would the latter instruct the former to return all documents?

WARLORD9609
First Name: Ha
Last Name: Ma
Organization: Na

Article 1c

Post by WARLORD9609 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:41 pm

As per Article 1c of URC 522 which states that ''If a bank elects, for any reason, not to handle a collection or any related instructions received by it, it must advise the party from whom it received the collection or the instructions by telecommunication or, if that is not possible, by other expeditious means, without delay.''

In addition to that, regarding the swift keys, its impossible for any remitting bank or a presenting/collecting bank to have swift key arrangements with all banks all over the world, and hence, they may use the help of a 3rd bank (usually your best correspondent bank) to authenticate messages while quoting the required information in the swift message, consider charges to be paid for this service.

To the minimum, in Inward Bills for collection, I feel that the swift key authentication is required when the presenting/collecting bank would like to send an acceptance message that the D/A are accepted by drawee and that the payment will take place on maturity date. usually the swift payments MT202 will be transmitted on maturities to your nostro correspondent which you have already a swift key arrangement, the 2nd swift message along with the payment (the advice of payment) can be transmitted through MT999 mentioning at the top of the swift message ( As we don't maintain a swift arrangement between our two institutions, kindly consider this message as MT499).

:)

LLawrence
First Name: Linda
Last Name: Lawrence
Organization: NA

Re: Can A Bank Refuse To Handle Documentary Collections

Post by LLawrence » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:53 am

Bank's can refuse to make the transaction happen due their relation at ANY TIME, even in mid transaction (less likely but it happens in the UK).