LC Does Not Mention Shipment Period Or Deadline

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

LC Does Not Mention Shipment Period Or Deadline

Post by shahriar » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:37 pm

dear all,

this is a quote from mr. tolee
Some L/Cs give unclear instructions, which may be due to negligence. But when disputes arise, the banks may use such grey areas to trigger a dishonour. To give an example, I saw an L/C from India that called for presentation of the usual documents, bill of lading, insurance certificate, and so on, but specified no shipment period or deadline. That was to advise separately by an amendment at a later date. This L/C in fact would be inoperative until the issuing bank sent out an amendment to set a shipment period or deadline. If the amendment never came, the irrevocable L/C would actually be working like a revocable L/C. When I asked the client why he accepted such an L/C, he told me frankly that he did not realize the risk until it surfaced. 'Even if I knew about it early I could not do anything about it as at that time, it was the buyer's market,' he added. So avoiding such problems is easier said than done.
could someone make this simpler for me

regd

shahriar

aziz

Re: lc operativeness

Post by aziz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 am

HI! MATE,

Guess it is related to a pre-advise DC.

Forget what customer assumed, the said DC isn't an operating instrument until received of amendment by the advising bank.

May be it was opened with the intention to make fraud.

Client might have stepped in the fraud stars trap.

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

letter of credit operativeness

Post by shahriar » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Thank you sir. at last someone answered my question!!

regd

shahriar