What is UPAS Letter of Credit?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
nura

What is UPAS Letter of Credit?

Post by nura » Sat May 01, 2010 10:19 am

could someone please explain UPAS LC. i have been said that LC will be for a usance period but we will get the fund at sight. is it negotiation with interest on applicant account?

picant

upas

Post by picant » Sat May 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi Pal,

UPAS means Usance paid at sight, in few words, beneficiary present a draft with tenor xxx days drawn on a bank, than it will remit complying documents to issuing bank and draft to another bank, this bank will pay the presenting bank at sight and will charge interests to the issuing bank. So this bank will obtain import finance abroad, may be by its subsidiary. All is written in l/c conditions and I had experiences with some l/c from Korea and far east banks, their branch in London or in Frankfurt are utilized of a sort of reimbursing bank. Something, due to my country laws, unclear.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao