third party documents not allowed

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
mia vervacke
First Name: Mia
Last Name: Vervacke
Organization: x
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

third party documents not allowed

Post by mia vervacke » Thu May 13, 2010 2:52 am

Can a B/L show a third party as shipper if the LC states 'third party documents NOT allowed'.

I refer to Art. 14k of UCP 600: The shipper or consignor of the goods indicated on any document need not be the beneficiary of the credit.

I also refer to Art 21c of ISBP: "third party documents acceptable" - all documents, excluding drafts but including invoices, may be issued by a party other than the beneficiary. If it is the intention of the issuing bank that the transport or other documents may show a shipper other than the beneficiary, the clause is not necessary because it is already permitted by sub-article 14(k).

Please comment and if possible please refer to offical comments.

S.Khalili
First Name: suhail
Last Name: iqbal
Organization: UBL
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Third party documents not allowed.

Post by S.Khalili » Fri May 14, 2010 12:19 pm

In my humble opinion if the credit is subject to UCP-600, article 14k will have an overriding effect and third party BL will be acceptable.

Disclaimer:
The above represents my personal view. The reply given is not to be construed as being other than solely for the benefit of guidance, proliferation and exchange of knowledge. There should be no legal imputation associated with the reply offered.