difference between vessel's agent and agent of master

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

difference between vessel's agent and agent of master

Post by cristiand969 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi
Does anyone know whether there is a difference between : agent of vessel and agent of master?
Thanks!

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

legally yes

Post by shahriar » Mon May 31, 2010 7:23 pm

to the best of my knowledge, the answer is yes; at least by law. A simple definition of an agent is a person or company that acts for another in business. In most situations the term broker means the same as agent. the term master's agent is very well understandable under this definition. about vessel name; i think its not the actual term (though transport industry uses hundreds of terms). i studied the term as port agent; this is the agent who of the carrier in fact and is responsible for a lot of works like repairing vessel, supplying inventories, serving NOR etc. in liner operation, port agent is also responsible for hunting business.

however both of them are the agent of the owner or carrier. in fact the agent of the charterer is the agent of the owner nominated by the charterer.

other comment appreciated.