Documentary Credit (Mail/SWIFT MT700) Format

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
bdesh
First Name: Hafizur
Last Name: Rahman
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Documentary Credit (Mail/SWIFT MT700) Format

Post by bdesh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi everybody,
Usually Non-SWIFT DCs are opened in Mail Format/issuing bank's own format. On the other hand, SWIFT DCs are opened in SWIFT MT700 Format.
Is there any problem if all kinds of DCs are opened/typed in SWIFT Format even if the DCs are Mail DC ?

jmitra
First Name: jasmit
Last Name: mitra
Organization: bank

mail DC

Post by jmitra » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 pm

i hardly see mail DCs in these days. yes you can use SWIFT format. it would be better if you use the field name instead of code. not to mention that you wont be enjoying the legal benefits of SWIFT definitions

bdesh
First Name: Hafizur
Last Name: Rahman
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd

Mail DC

Post by bdesh » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:52 pm

> In our country we hardly see any SWIFT DCs to use in Inland Trade. If all the banks follow the SWIFT Format in Inland Mail DCs, it would be convenient for the parties involved to handle the DCs.

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

SWIFT

Post by shahriar » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi!
I see increasing SWIFT DCs for inland use in bangladesh. the growth rate is however slow due to cost i think. in my bank, we have recently introduced SWIFT format DCs for mail LCs as well.