Bypassing the transferring bank

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
CDCS2009
First Name: Nova
Last Name: Birsk
Organization: itrade
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Bypassing the transferring bank

Post by CDCS2009 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:37 am

as per ICC opinion, in case of 100% transfer, the transferring bank may allow the second beneficiary to present the document directly to the issuing bank. if the LC includes a clause indicating that all presentation must be routed through the transferring bank, can the transferring bank still allow the 2nd beneficiary to allow to present directly to the issuing bank?

picant

bypassing the transferring bank

Post by picant » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Pals,

this is permitted, naturally, when l/c is WITHOUT SUBSTITUTION". IMHO I think that in case of issuing bank request to present documents via transferring bank, the transferring bank must insert this clause in the transfered l/c, however to avoid that the transferring bank, not confirming, can refuse to act, presentation of documents direc tly to the issuing bank is possible, with some risks for the beneficiar; lost in transit, etc.

Other comments appreciated
Ciao

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

100 pct transfer

Post by nesarul » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:17 am

DEar,
With due respect ICC official opinion, when 1st bnf. effect 100 pct transfer... it has no interest on the transaction.. my confusion is why 1st beneficiary engage is such a complex transaction where it has no financial benefit..... can any one pls help me.
regards
nesar

CDCS2009
First Name: Nova
Last Name: Birsk
Organization: itrade

100% Transfer

Post by CDCS2009 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:46 am

nesarul wrote:With due respect ICC official opinion, when 1st bnf. effect 100 pct transfer... it has no interest on the transaction.. my confusion is why 1st beneficiary engage is such a complex transaction where it has no financial benefit..... can any one pls help me.
regards
nesar
well i can there are mainly two reasons.

1. first beneficiary has some commission arrangement with the 2nd beneficiary after utilization. in most cases these first beneficiary are not the actual manufacturer.
2. the first beneficiary does not have the capacity to perform under the credit and transfer it some allied concerns

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

Transferring Bank

Post by nesarul » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:43 pm

dear CDCS,
Thanks for ur response.
Your Point No.1
I am little bit suspicious abt ur point no.1.... As a Banker .. I can not allow underhand transaction which derive from Transferable credit..... Because this transaction may jeopardize my position as a Banker.
Point no.2
Agreed
Nesar