Bill of lading shows "Bank's Release Required"

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Bill of lading shows "Bank's Release Required"

Post by shahriar » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Friends,

have you ever encountered bill of lading with a stamp showing "Bank's release required". any idea how to treat them?

picant

Bank's Release Required

Post by picant » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:52 am

Hi Shahriar,

I found something concerning the issue in "The Merchants guide - 2003 Edition" by P&O Nedlloyd, now merged in Maersk, referring to Seawaybill indicated as " Bankers lien":

-Delivery of the goods represented by this waybill can only be effected against written authority from ...... Bank who has a lien on these Goods".

Due that the Consignee is the buyer, this clause will avoid the latter to take delivery of the goods, if not authorized, but, in the meantime, to hamper the bank to hold the goods,( bank is named "dog in the manger").
Other comments appreciated
Ciao

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

which bank

Post by shahriar » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:35 pm

dear picant,

thanks for your answer. the first time i saw this clause, the question i asked which bank they are talking about? the good guess is that the bank named as the consignee. but that just a guess.

from the reference you gave, i felt that such clause is for seaway bill. but im finding them on negotiable bill of lading. do you think that ISBP para 90 has anything to do with it?