Letter of Credit not valid without advice notification

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Letter of Credit not valid without advice notification

Post by shahriar » Wed May 05, 2010 10:13 pm

Dear friends,

i receive credit from a particular advising bank which always add the following sentence below the LC text on each page that it has received from the issuing bank

"This Letter of credit is not valid unless the notification letter no. #### is attached with it"

i would like to hear your opinion on such clause. what are the possible reason to add such clause? do you consider this clause valid under UCP 600?

Thanks!!

bdesh
First Name: Hafizur
Last Name: Rahman
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd

Authenticity

Post by bdesh » Sat May 08, 2010 11:34 pm

Hi,
1. I think the possible reason to add such clause is to ensure security from their part.
2. There is no prohibition regarding this in UCP-600, so it's not invalid.
This my personal thinking.
Better opinion is appreciated.
Regards
Bdesh

S.Khalili
First Name: suhail
Last Name: iqbal
Organization: UBL

Addition of clause by advising bank

Post by S.Khalili » Tue May 11, 2010 11:21 am

What i could infer from question that this is an addition of clause by advising bank which are not binding upon bene.

It is advised that contents of notification should be perused and clarification is sought from AB.

Open to opinion.

Disclaimer:
The above represents my personal view. The reply given is not to be construed as being other than solely for the benefit of guidance, proliferation and exchange of knowledge. There should be no legal imputation associated with the reply offered.