more than one beneficiary

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
CDCS2009
First Name: Nova
Last Name: Birsk
Organization: itrade
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

more than one beneficiary

Post by CDCS2009 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:32 pm

we know that a letter of credit may have more than one applicant. is the same true for beneficiary as well. my understanding is that theoritically its possible. never heard of such case. any body any opinion?

Negotiator
First Name: Ivan
Last Name: Lee
Organization: N Bank

Maybe possible, but...

Post by Negotiator » Tue May 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi,

Your assumption may be theoritically possible. However, in this case, I think that each beneficiary's shares must be divided exactly and completely.
For example, if a credit amount is USD 100,000 and there are two beneficiaries (A and B), the credit must stipulate like that USD 30,000 is available for A and USD 70,000 is available for B. Same principle for the goods descriptions.

I worked on issuing a standby credit once before, and the application showed two beneficiaries indicating only total amount of USD 50,000. I argued too much with my customer to solve this problem... :((

WARLORD77
First Name: Hassan
Last Name: Zayani
Organization: BIBI

hi

Post by WARLORD77 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Its possible under a arrevocable transferrable LC where it shows 2 beneficaries.

But I never encountered a transferrable LC in my whole life :((

Phani Krishna
First Name: Phani Krishna
Last Name: Pulluru
Organization: IFTS

Ya it's possible

Post by Phani Krishna » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:05 pm

hi,
You are cent percent correct there can be more than one applicant when issuing a letter of credit and by the same way there can be more than one beneficiary, if the letter of credit is a transferrable letter of credit then it's possible. In transferable letter of credit First beneficiary will become as applicant for the second beneficiary and there can be more than one second beneficiary ie first beneficiary can transfer his letter of credit to any second beneficiary but second beneficiary can not transfer to third beneficiary but can transfer it to first beneficiary(Back to the applicant ie first beneficiary)