About UCP600 Artical 6 (a)

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
mini_tracy

About UCP600 Artical 6 (a)

Post by mini_tracy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:30 pm

hi all,
UCP600 Artical 6 (a) states "...A credit available with a nominated bank is also available with the issuing bank"

Question is: When at a confirm Credit,the confirming bank is not a nominated bank, can we say a credit available with a nominated bank is also available with the confirming bank?

thanks
Tracy

fionawang

i think so

Post by fionawang » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:56 am

yes, i think so

mini_tracy

thanks

Post by mini_tracy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:40 am

:D thanks for you reply fiona~

MOHAMED.ASHOUR

IN ADDITION TO ISSUING BANK

Post by MOHAMED.ASHOUR » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi
Of course and accordingly said lc will be available at confirming bank in addition to
the issuing bank .
thanks

iLC

no

Post by iLC » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 pm

mini_tracy wrote:hi all,
UCP600 Artical 6 (a) states "...A credit available with a nominated bank is also available with the issuing bank"

Question is: When at a confirm Credit,the confirming bank is not a nominated bank, can we say a credit available with a nominated bank is also available with the confirming bank?

thanks
Tracy
its a very tricky question indeed. in my opinion no. u need to understand the term "available with"; it means that the document can be presented at that counter for honor or negotiation. since issuing bank is the primary obligatory, a credit is always available with the issuing bank. but this is not the case with the confirming bank.

without going into detail, the beneficiary in your case can not place the document directly to the confirming bank for honor or negotiation. it has to present the document to a nominated bank which will forward the document to the confirming bank.

fionawang

Yes

Post by fionawang » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:14 am

I still think the answer is yes. According to Article 8 Confirming Bank Undertaking. Confirming Bank could also Honour e the L/C. And in practice, I think there is no problem if the confirming bank would like to take the Doc.