Endorsement of Insurance Policy

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Endorsement of Insurance Policy

Post by Navi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:56 pm

Dear Friends,
We advised an LC which stipulates Insurance policy to be issued to the order of issuing bank.

On the document presented, beneficiary is assured and beneficiary bank (our bank) is stated as "Mortgagee". No endorsement made by beneficiary.

As far as I know, "Mortgagee" is the real beneficiary of the insurance document in case of damage (Am I right?). If the mortgagee stated on the document, will the endorsement to any other party, have any use? Who must endorse the document, Beneficiary or our bank?

REgards

loankim
First Name: Loan
Last Name: Nguyen
Organization: VIB

Must be in the form as required...

Post by loankim » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:59 am

Hi Navi,

According to ISBP 681, paragraph 179 : " an insurance doc must be in the form as required by the credit ". Referring to the answer of Mr Gary Collyer for same question: "I/P issued to oder of issuing bank , who should be the name of the issured ?" . The answer is " I/P should show the assured as the issuing bank. However, an insurance doc issued in favour of BEARER would also be accept .."
On the I/P presented , beneficiary is assured and No endorsement made by beneficiary, so that the right for claim is not transfered .
That's a discrepancy .

rgds,

wongvv

little doubt

Post by wongvv » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:57 am

Hi !

I have a little doubt on the part of answer "an insurance doc issued in favour of BEARER would also be accept ..". Since L/C does not require "endorsed in blank", I think "issued in favour of BEARER" would not be acceptable.

V.V.

loankim
First Name: Loan
Last Name: Nguyen
Organization: VIB

Accurately reflect...

Post by loankim » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi V.V. :)

i have already accurately reflected the answer of Mr Gary Collyer . I think it's not right as According to ISBP 681, paragraph 179 but it's okie to apply in practice. If L/C requires the assured as the issuing Bank, it means the issuing bank takes the right to claim under that I/P and he can do too this action with
the I/P issued in favour of BEARER. So it's okie .
This is one of practices that are carried out by banks globally that are not encompassed within the ISBP pubblication.

Rgds,