UCP 600, article 10 f...

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

UCP 600, article 10 f...

Post by Navi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:31 pm

Dear friends,
I usually come across the following situation while advising amendments:

Bank A, issuing bank
Bank B, first advising bank
Bank C (our bank) second advising bank...
Bank A send MT707 to Bank B and Bank B advise amendment through mail, post, fax etc to Bank C respectively. While advising, Bank B on its instruction letter adds the folllowing clause: "pls inform us whether amendment accepted or not by beneficiary as soon as possible, in case of not rejecting within 7 days, amendment deemed to be accepted"

UCP 600 10f, says that a provision in an amendment should not include such clauses and will be disregarded. Here, this clause does not belong to the original amendment but the advising bank instructions.

Can the advising bank stipulate such a term while advising amendment or credit?

Thanks and regards....

jmitra
First Name: jasmit
Last Name: mitra
Organization: bank

what can i do?

Post by jmitra » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:07 pm

well, in international trade, if you say, can the advising bank do it, i will say, yes! it can do anything it want. who is going to restrict it? :lol:

anyway, i dont see any use of this clause. simply disregard

loankim
First Name: Loan
Last Name: Nguyen
Organization: VIB

UCP 600, article 10d

Post by loankim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi all,

I agree with Jmitra, also want to refer to UCP 600, article 10d .
According to its spirit, the advising bank MAY make enquiries of the Bene. but the Bene. is under no obligation to provide any intimation of acceptance or rejection pior to the presentaion of documents. :)

rgds,

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

disregard?

Post by Navi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks for your comments,
From yr posts I understand that beneficiary needs not provide a notice of acception or rejection within stated period despite advising bank instructions.

To widen the subject, If applicant or issuing bank has the intention to receive acceptance or rejection of amendments frm beneficiary, then a condition must be added to the original credit.

Regards

ldt5205

silence not means acceptance

Post by ldt5205 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:49 pm

According to UCP 600 10f, a provision in an amendment should not include such clauses and will be disregarded.
Ben may express its acceptance or rejection by presention of the docs.