original or not

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

original or not

Post by shahriar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Dear all,

I usually put a clause in my LCs

"one set of non negotiable set of documents is to be sent to the applicant by courier within 7 days of shipment. the courier receipt must be presented"

few days back i received a document in which the beneficiary scanned a standard DHL courier, changed the information on the screen, print it in gray scale and put an original stamp on it. will you consider this courier receipt as acceptable?

silver

It's not an original

Post by silver » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:26 am

Dear Shahriah,

In my opinion, if the LC subject to ucp 500, the courier receipt can be considered as the original. (art 20, b "...bank will accept as an original docs produced or appearing to have been produced by REPROGRAPHIC. AUTOMATED OR COMPUTERIZED SYSTEM" and the courier receipt has been marked "original" (with fresh stamp)

But if LC subject to ucp600, the courier receipt is not an original because ucp 600 exclude above term.

Regards,

picant

Rationale

Post by picant » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Pals,

we are discussing about a document that does not represent goods but only a proof that some documents have been remitted to applicant. In reality the fold you can submit is a "copy for sender" as written on the right side of the document. So, being a copy it could be a photocopy too, specially if marked "original". So, IMHO,it can not be considered discrepant. I dont know if there is an Opinion by ICC stating that I am wrong, in this case please let me know.
Thank you
Ciao

berry

appeared to be original

Post by berry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:43 pm

Dear all,

from the question it appears that a original document was tempered. that is the non negotiable documents were never sent to the applicant. while one can clearly understand this from a document, why do he has to accept it just for a original stamp?

i have one more question. if there was hand written signature / some other kind of stamp, should we consider that original too. as per article 3 i think yes

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank

Discrepant

Post by cristiand969 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Dear Shahriar,
The document as described by you is not conform. From your special condition it should appear that an original courier receipt should have been presented. Furthermore your description conveys the fact that a copy of DHL was presented and beneficiary superimposed its stamp, signature, whatever means of authentication on that document. This is not an original document as the authentication should have been made by DHL and not the beneficiary (i.e the issuer of the document or a party authorized so by DHL). Hence the beneficiary signature has no value and document is presented in copy as opposite to an original as per credit requirements
Hope it helps you
have a nice day
Cristian

wongvv

original courier receipt

Post by wongvv » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:25 am

Hi !

According to the Appendix of ISBP 681 Correct Interpretation of sub-art 20(b) General Approach (C), it states " it is treated as original if it states that it is original, unless the statement appears not to apply to the document presented ". In the case, the "Original" stamp is put in the courier receipt, and it is applied to the courier receipt presented. Therefore, the courier receipt is treated as original.

So it is not a discrepancy.

V.V.

dua

not discrepancy

Post by dua » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:48 pm

dear!
in my opinion, this doc was absolutely conformity with L/c stipulated

Ozoda

courier receipt - discrepant.

Post by Ozoda » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:22 pm

I agree with Cristian that the courier receipt is discrepant.

Judith

another aspect

Post by Judith » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 am

I agree with Christian’s rationale but I think that this is still an interesting question: one that is not so much UCP but practical aspects.

If you were to quote a discrepancy, how would you word it? Perhaps, “Courier receipt does not appear to be original as it has not been completed by the issuer?” or something along those lines?

I presume that you received the documents under an LC issued by you. If yes, I wonder how you knew about what the beneficiary did?! (Are they also your clients?!)

The point is that banks are expected to examine for compliance “on the basis of documents alone”… Therefore, any extra knowledge that you might have because of your expertise in certain areas cannot be used because a document checker in another bank may not have a similar expertise. If you state that the document is a forgery, you may still be liable to a nominated bank who has acted in good faith but has not been able to spot the forgery.

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank

Re: another aspect

Post by cristiand969 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Dear Judith,
if I were to quote the discrepancy I would quote " Courier receipt presented in copy ". There is pointless the quote on what basis I quoted so because UCP, ISBP and also "Determination of originality' have a lot of explanation including letterhead, original signature and so on...
Secondly you were right about no knoweledge of who completed it but once again this fact can at the most to rise suspicion but not a discrepancy. The fact that the courier receipt has been signed by the beneficiary without showing (for compliance) its capacity or doing so on behalf of courier, it does constitute a discrepancy.
So any extra knowledge may be good sometimes ( it can help you identifying a forged document even if you are restricted to go further, but can inform the applicant of your concern). In some situations it does help.
regards
C