D/P Partial payment

Simple is Beautiful; the only thing came in my mind when thought of documentary collection. And I think more and more people are thinking the same in these days. Documentary Collection offers us far greater security than selling on open account; but not as much as a documentary credit. We should therefore be more cautious before starting selling using this method of payment. Documentary Collection Forum is an effort to help you on this way – admin; besttradesolution.com
khratha
First Name: Ratha
Last Name: Nhem
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

D/P Partial payment

Post by khratha » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:47 am

Dear All

I wish you could help me clarified below query.
Abc bank send export bill for collection with term D/P amount 10,000.00 to XYZ bank. Few day later, collecting bank XYZ advise that drawee prefer partial payment usd1000.00, 5000 10days after the first paid, 4000.00 10days after second paid. Drawer also inform remitting bank ABC that they accept that partial payment.

My query:
1. if remitting bank ABC communicates with collecting bank that they accept partial payment, can collecting bank releases document to the drawee when drawee pay the first payment? Why?

Appreciate your comment.

Ratha :ymapplause:

picant

URC 522 art 19

Post by picant » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi Pal,

The instructions to accept partial payment must be clear about the delivery of shipping documents, specially when a bill of lading is presented.
Follow the art 19 b of URC 522, assuming that those will rule the collection.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao

khratha
First Name: Ratha
Last Name: Nhem
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

release document

Post by khratha » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Dear cao

Thank you very much for your comment.
As per article 19 of URC, collecting bank only release transport document when the final payment is made.

If the drawer insists remitting bank to instruct collecting bank to release transport document prior the final payment made , will the drawer bear the risk of non payment from collecting bank ?

Appreciate your comment .

Ratha

picant

Art 19

Post by picant » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Pal,

I think that in collection, drawer will risk always, but risk had been already calculated when dealing with buyer. However all it is possible in collection, release documents free of payment too. So drawer could instruct the banks to accept partial payments, release documents and wait for full payment. Banks will limit these actions if have financed the transaction or the like.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao