FCL/FCL shipment

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

FCL/FCL shipment

Post by shahriar » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:05 pm

dear friends,

i encountered an letter of credit which has the following two conditions -

1. merchandise are to be shipped in one FCL/FCL container
2. Partial Shipment allowed.

i see this as a clear conflict and the the letter of credit is therefore ambitious. soliciting your opinion

regd

shahriar

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Re: FCL/FCL shipment

Post by nesarul » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:30 pm

Hi,
let assume the situation:
Shipment in 2 container on FCL/FCL basis
Partial shipment allowed
Then
first shipment made one container on FCL/FCL basis.
i think it possible.

pls comments
nesar

leechiankoh

Post by leechiankoh » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:58 am

Hi, Nesar,

Yes, I absolute agree with you.

FCL/FCL means cargo loaded by shipper in a full container at origin and delivered to carrier's terminal at destination for pick up intact by consignee.

Sometimes, buyer will place some orders but would like seller to ship out those orders at different scheduled time frame in FCL/FCL basis.

In this case, buyer will raise L/C as such terms & conditions.

Regards,
Leechian

iLC

Post by iLC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:45 am

i also agree. just to add that FCL does not mean that the container will be loaded to its full capacity. it may happen, that the container is only half loaded but still be an FCL.

one more thing, in this case i think the first shipment, if is in part, sieges the availability of the rest since only one FCL shipment is allowed. do you agree?

iLC

Rejaul17

Post by Rejaul17 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi everybody
recently i came to know that the c&f agents rent container from the big container company like Hapag- loyd and then use that container to export commodities of various small exporters. So far i guess that is LCL ie less container loaded and if one container is completely loaded with commodidties of only one exporter that is FCL ie Full Container Loaded. Fare differs in this case. i may be wrong.

Regards Rejaul.

leechiankoh

Post by leechiankoh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi,

FCL - Full Container Load.
Containers are charged a specific rate for ocean transit regardless of their (lack of) contents. A full container will thus offer a better price per unit shipped than will a LCL.

LCL - Less Than Container Load
Common term for an amount of goods to be shipped and which do not fill an entire container. Ocean rates for LCL are commonly higher on a per-unit basis than for a full container load. Thus, consolidation of several LCL loads from different places or shippers into a full container can save on costs.

For your reference.

Regards,
Leechian