bank's risk

Simple is Beautiful; the only thing came in my mind when thought of documentary collection. And I think more and more people are thinking the same in these days. Documentary Collection offers us far greater security than selling on open account; but not as much as a documentary credit. We should therefore be more cautious before starting selling using this method of payment. Documentary Collection Forum is an effort to help you on this way – admin; besttradesolution.com
snk
First Name: shah zad
Last Name: naeem.khokhar
Organization: NBP
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

bank's risk

Post by snk » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 pm

hi sirs,
seek ur guidance/views i following case.
one of our client approached us and presented a bill of lading drawn on us(bank) for endorsemnt in favour of notify party shown on it.
we have no prior understanding/arrangement with consignor to handle the shipping doc.
what risks are there for the bank
1) if a susequent claim is recieved from consignor's bank.??
2) how risks involved can be mitigated( e.g client becoming insolvent)..??

thanks and regards.

picant

No URC 522 issue

Post by picant » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:31 am

Hi Pal,

I am involved in the same problem, bank release of goods with an Air Waybill, consigned to a bank.The last opinion in my hands regarding this issue is the Official Opinion TA711. Naturally the URC 522 cannot be applied to the bank behaviour before getting the document for collection. This issue is regulated by the applicable law in the import Country. Moreover is the bank sure of the risk incurred, bill of lading or air waybill dont show the goods value, so you allow the delivery of goods and tomorrow you could receive a collection for a bigger amount. Your customer will not pay demurrage et warehousing costs but is exposing the bank to a unspecified risk.
For Air waybill I advised the shipper to indicate in the handling information box that goods can be delivered by a bank release worthing the invoice attached to the transport document, so nobady could change the cards on the table.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao

mustafadogan
First Name: mustafa
Last Name: dogan
Organization: Albarakaturk a.s.

same problem

Post by mustafadogan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:37 pm

We have the same problem. Our customer insists on issuing B/L to the order of our bank, and in his instructions, tries to make us a party in CAD transaction. We refuses again and again. Hovewer, We couldn't stop him doing that.

rajeshh
First Name: Rajesh
Last Name: Kutripali
Organization: state bank of india

a better way

Post by rajeshh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:57 pm

I think this is a good faith problem. If drawer has some doubts, requesting a L/C would be a better way to trade.

mentis
First Name: Doka
Last Name: Rosso
Organization: İstanbul BB.

risk

Post by mentis » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:07 am

We have a different situation as remitting bank. We have sent 2 set of original documents in one DHL corrier, but drawee claims that bills of lading of one set are missing. I wrote a message and requested from collecting bank to confirm number of docs, especially B/L. Fortunately, it is a CAD transaction and risk is minumum for a bank.