Meaning Of The Expression "On Or Before"

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Meaning Of The Expression "On Or Before"

Post by shahriar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:25 pm

dear all,

UCP600 says,

The expression "on or about” or similar will be interpreted as a stipulation that an event is to occur during a period of five calendar days before until five calendar days after the specified date, both start and end dates included.

the CDCS practice test on the site has a question as follows

"A Letter of Credit was issued in favor ....on 12th December 2007. The LC shows the latest shipment date as "on or before 15th January". Which of the following is the shipment date under this LC?"

the answer given is "any time before 15th january"

i would like to know whats meaning of "on or before"?

regd

shahriar

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

Re: meaning of the expression "on or before"

Post by Navi » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Dear friend,
I was also confused with the answer given. From the wording "on or before" I understand that shipment must be effected before 15th January but including the date 15th Jan. (because of the expression "on..." and "or...").
regrds

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.

Post by cristiand969 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:05 pm

In the context of such wording I agree with navi's reply that's the correct one.

iLC

Post by iLC » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:57 pm

i tried the test and i agree. the answer should be like that. but still thats the closest answer. if we go by ucp600
The words "to", "until", “till”, “from” and “between” when used to determine a period of shipment includes the date or dates mentioned, and the word “before” and “after” exclude the date mentioned.
so answer like anytime before 15th excludes the day 15th. so correct answer would be anytime before 16th. do you guys agree?

iLC

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan

Post by Navi » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Dear iLC,
I agree with you that "before 15th", excludes the day 15th. However, when stated "on or before", the correct answer must include the 15th day, in my opinion.