sub-article 12b

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
rania

sub-article 12b

Post by rania » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:48 pm

re sub-article 12b, the prepay or purchase by the nominated bank which is not a confirming bank to a draft accepted or a deferred payment undertaking be with or without recourse to the benef.

rgds.

jmitra
First Name: jasmit
Last Name: mitra
Organization: bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

without recourse

Post by jmitra » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:11 pm

i would consider the discounting of nominated bank as without recourse. a discount occurs when the nominated bank honors a presentation and a honor is without recourse. though there is a chance that the nominated bank is bound to pay at maturity, discounting a deferred payment undertaking is a sort of honor.

rania

without recourse

Post by rania » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:30 pm

jmitra,
Thank you very much for your reply, I've 3 more inquires about this point:
first, why a nominated bank which is not a confirming one takes this risk, does it has a cover for that?
second, why do we open l/cs available by negotiation when beneficiaries can obtain funds immediatly by discounting deferred payments undertaking or drafts accepted under l/cs available by deferred payment or acceptance?
last, Is the sitiuation will differ if that nominated bank prepays or purchases deferred payment undertakings incurred or drafts accepted by an issuing or a confirming bank?

rgds

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

without recourse

Post by shahriar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:02 pm

agree with the opinion given. however just like to add that its even possible to honor a document with recourse. since the nominated bank has no liability or undertaking to honor, it can reach to any decision depending on the negotiation between the nominated bank and the beneficiary.
about the subsequent queries -

1. you will do almost every thing for a valued client :!: :?: :lol:
2. i didnt get your question very well. LC available by negotiation is closely related to LC available by payment with the issuing bank. i guess you are asking about a situation where the issuing bank will pay in future but wants the nominated bank to pay at sight. am i correct? if yes, then there may be two possible reasons; 1. the issuing bank dont know what they are doing. :lol: 2. a bit tricky one; the issuing bank wants to make sure that the nominated bank pays in advance and the interest is on beneficiary's account.
3. article 12b is only effective if the nominated bank incur a deferred payment undertaking / accept a draft. there have already been discussion on this issue. if the LC is available by negotiation, then there is no use article 12b since the nominated bank will be paying in advance for sure (if acts on its nomination). however to be protected under a article 7, a nominated bank must act on its nomination.

fionawang

help

Post by fionawang » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 am

I really cannot understand why negotiated bank's honor is without recource, isn't it just by issuing and comfirming bank? Please help me.