transfer of credit and original

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
jim

Post by jim » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:40 pm

dear sir,

when we transfer a letter of credit as a transferring bank, should we retain the original credit? how can we make sure that the first beneficiary is not making another drawing with any other nominated bank.

hassan

transfering bank

Post by hassan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:29 pm

yes we are suposed to retain the original l/c.only the nominated bank can transfer a credit.first beneficiary can not making another drawing with any other nominated bank because in transeferable l/c there is only one transefering bank and that is our bank so we are sure that if any other bank receive docs from benef. firstly it is not a nominated bank and secondly it can only send docs to our bank for further cheking and negotiation.

mini_tracy

transfering bank

Post by mini_tracy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:43 pm

hi,
then do we need to endorse the transfer amount at the back of the original LC?

fionawang

endorse?

Post by fionawang » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:01 am

mini_tracy wrote:hi,
then do we need to endorse the transfer amount at the back of the original LC?
what do you mean endorse here?

SHAMEER

Post by SHAMEER » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:24 pm

of course - you should retain the original L/C

Thanks & Regards,

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

i agree

Post by shahriar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:38 pm

i agree with the answers given. the original credit should be retained; specially if its a partial transfer. in fact ISP98 gives a clue to it
6.03 Conditions to transfer
An issuer of a transferable standby or a nominated person need not effect a transfer unless:
(a) it is satisfied as to the existence and authenticity of the original standby; and
(b) the beneficiary submits or fulfils:

(i) a request in a form acceptable to the issuer or nominated person including the effective date of the transfer and the name and address of the transferee;
(ii) the original standby;
with this i would like to add that i have seen practices where the original LC is in fact transferred physically to the second beneficiary where there is a 100% transfer and the credit is not confirmed by the transferring bank.