preadvice

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
maqianyueer

preadvice

Post by maqianyueer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 pm

A preadvice credit is an irrevocable undertaking
A.To be irrevocable,operative credit must be issued
B.tRUE
C.False
D.Preadvice is not acceptable in UCP

WHY THE ANSWER IS B,I THINK A IS CORRECT TOO.

wongvv

little trick

Post by wongvv » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi !

According to UCP600 Art 11 b, it states " issuing bank ....is irrevocably committed to issue the operative credit ot amendment....".
The answer A states "irrevocable....credit...", but the issuing bank can issue either irrevocable or revocable credit.

Hope it may help!

V.V.

SHAMEER

preadvice

Post by SHAMEER » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:11 pm

THE ANSWER IS B: ie,preadvice credit is an irrevocable undertaking

As per ucp600 art 11, An issuing bank that sends a pre-advice is irrevocably committed to issue the operative credit or amendment, without delay, in terms not inconsistent with the pre-advice

Regards,
MS

Judith

True and False?

Post by Judith » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:47 pm

A pre-advice is not an irrevocable undertaking in the same strength as the credit under it is. Therefore, I would think the answer is C.

But the answer may easily be ‘B’ on account of the way the question is worded. Is a pre-advice an irrevocable undertaking given by the issuing bank to issue a credit? Answer is yes.

The key question is, what happens to a bank that does not issue an LC under a pre-advice? (Interestingly, UCP has not specified a time limit for banks to issue credit following a pre-advice.) I do not know the answer but I reckon that’s for courts to decide.

iLC

o boy!

Post by iLC » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:57 pm

:D its amazing. always simple looking question triggers a good discussion. we let me place my opinion here.

first of all, UCP usually does not answer questions which start with "what if not.." :D so UCP article 11
clearly says its irrevocable, so better take it as irrevocable.

is it a irrevocable undertaking to the beneficiary? well, i am not sure. it depends on the content of the pre advice. if the preadvice say that its a preadvice of a irrevocable credit, then it is a irrevocable undertaking.

looking simply; i agree with the answer given