copy or original of health certificate?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

copy or original of health certificate?

Post by shahriar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Dear all,

i think im getting paranoia over this original issue :lol:

ok the problem is i found a health certificate today which appears to be a photocopy of two or more certificates. the signature is appeared to be photocopy as well. at the top of the certificate, the invoice number is written with pencil. all other information complies with the credit. please note that we call for a original certificate. whats your opinion?

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

Seem to be not original...

Post by Navi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Dear Shahriar,
It is difficult to decide without seeing the document on hand but the certificate seem to be not original as per UCP 600, 17 and UCP 500 20(b). I understand your feelings :)
Regards

jmitra
First Name: jasmit
Last Name: mitra
Organization: bank

simple answer

Post by jmitra » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 pm

the answer to your "paranoia" is very simple. ICC position paper on original document says
Photocopies
Banks treat as non-original any document that appears to be a photocopy of another document. If, however, a photocopy appears to have been completed by the document issuer’s hand marking the photocopy, then the resulting document is treated as an original document unless it indicates otherwise. If a document appears to have been produced by photocopying text onto original stationery rather than onto blank paper, then it is treated as an original document unless it indicates otherwise.
i dont think the issuer of the health certificate is going to write the invoice number on the health certificate. even if he does, that must add something that completes the document. i dont think a pencil signature on the top qualifies for the later.