Letter of credit over drawn

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
jim

Letter of credit over drawn

Post by jim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:21 am

dear sir,

if a document is presented under a letter of credit for a value higher than the credit value and issuing bank doesnt send any refusal advice, how much should the issuing bank pay after 5 banking days?

KennethP
First Name: KENNETH
Last Name: POON
Organization: JPMORGAN CHASE BANK
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Letter of Credit Overdrawn

Post by KennethP » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:36 am

A discrepancy issue
UCP Art 16(f) ... it shall be precluded from claiming that the documents do not constiture a complying presentation.
If so, issuing bank is bound to pay the presenter full drawing amount at last.

pebble
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 0

LC amount

Post by pebble » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:05 am

if all documents are in comply with credit except the "invoice issued for an amount in excess of the amount permitted by the credit", then the issuing bank can accept it, do not raise discrepancy for it. It means they just undertake to honour the credit amount. (Art18b)
hope this useful for yr question

KennethP
First Name: KENNETH
Last Name: POON
Organization: JPMORGAN CHASE BANK
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

LC Amount

Post by KennethP » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Any difference in the case if (1) commercial invoice, draft and presenting bank's covering letter all indicate the amount claimed exceeding the LC value, and (2) only the commercial invoice with value exceeding the LC amount whereas other documents including draft and covering letter showing lesser amount that does not exceeding the LC value ?

wongvv

good comment

Post by wongvv » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi !

Very good comment, Pebble !

Furthermore,
In case there are another discrepancies. What do you think if the issuing bank intentionally don't advise the discrepancies to presenting bank and only seek for the applicant's wavier? Then the applicant accepts the discrepancies. Can the applicant obtain the documents costed USD120.00 by only paying USD100.00(in case L/C amount USD100.00) ? :mrgreen:

May I have your opinion?

V.V.

pebble

some supplementary ideas !

Post by pebble » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:26 pm

That's my thoughtless answer when just mention one side of the issue.
Back to the two-case given by KennethP, yes, I think there is difference between them.
+ With (2), only the invoice show a value exceeding the LC amount whereas other documents showing lesser amount that does not exceeding the LC value, it will be similar to my first answer, the issuing bank may accept that invoice and just pay for the LC amount.
+ With (1), if all the documents represent for the amount claimed exceeding the LC value, and imply for an overshipment be happening, so the docs have been overdrawn. That's an official discrepancy of the docs.
(hereafter is relating to the question of V.V) "In case there are another discrepancies" so that will be official discrepancies of docs, and issuing bank have the right, within their permitted time, to seek for the applicant's waiver first. And in case the applicant accept the a/m about "overdrawn", they have to accept for full value of docs, it means, payment for the exceeding value will happen.
Only base on my own ideas, any comments are respected !

wongvv

My plan

Post by wongvv » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:28 am

Hi !

My plan is that, according to art 18 b, the issuing bank accepts the commercial invoice with excess L/C amount and decides to honor the L/C amount. So the invoice showing excess amount would not be treated as a discrepancy. The "other discrepancy" would be noticed to applicant for seeking wavier without advising presenting bank. Then, upon the acceptance of applicant, the presenting bank would be paid only the L/C amount, instead of the excess invoice amount. So the applicant could receive the "excess" value documents.

Would the plan be work?

V.V.

pebble

I think so

Post by pebble » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:39 pm

I think it's ok though issuing bank has not advised the matter of invoice to applicant, in their rights it's not a discrepancy. In some cases, the excess value of invoice is an arrangement betwwen appl and bene, a change on price etc
If there are any doubts, pls correct me and discuss more !