Does 1st Original Bill Of Lading Has Priority Over 2nd Or 3r

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Does 1st Original Bill Of Lading Has Priority Over 2nd Or 3r

Post by shahriar » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:45 pm

dear friends,

generally we get 3 original bill of lading. often marked as 1st, 2nd... i have once faced a case when the 1st bill of lading was lost and the the customs demanded a extra authorization from the bank to clear the goods against the second bill of lading. my question is, does the 1st one has priority over the second?

regd

shahriar

leechiankoh

Re: original bill of lading

Post by leechiankoh » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi, Shahriar,

3/3 original B/L act the same function.

There is not a must to present 1st origina B/L for import custom declaration.

Bill of lading is an official legal document representing ownership of cargo. Consignee just need to present one of the original B/L (either 1st original, 2nd original or 3rd original) to liner in exchanging for Delivery Order to take out cargo. In case of express B/L, consignee will only need to present copy of B/L to liner.

Regards,
Leechian

nhduc

Post by nhduc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi Leechiankoh,

Well explained. Just to add...

After the delivery of the goods by the carrier against one original copy, all the other copies of the bill of lading stand null and void.

Best regards,
Nguyen Huu Duc

iLC

Post by iLC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:51 am

yes leechiankoh, perfect precise answer. i would like to add... 3/3 original has actually had its use in the good old days when postal services were not so good :) and documents were sent in two or more mail. if one mail in case got lost, the consignee was able to release the goods using the 2nd or 3rd original.

with the development of courier services and electronic communication i think in near future we will have only one Bill of lading.

iLC