purchase order

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
ucp800
First Name: LEUNG
Last Name: KING SANG
Organization: WACHOVIA BANK N.A.
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

purchase order

Post by ucp800 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:55 am

Dear Expert,

May I ask for your opinion of the following :

we have been discouraging issuing banks from attaching purchase orders, sales confirmation or the like to their LCs.

However, some issuing banks alternatively require presentation of a PO and/ or sales confirmation copy.

The PO or sales confirmation shows the ship date as July Vessel whereas the LC shows the latest shipment date as 2009-07-15. The PO also shows the Incoterm as FOB, vessel as Evergreen, quantity as 72,000 pieces, unit price as USD127, etc. All these could be different from or in conflict with the other stipulated documents but we wouldn’t know until document presentation. Here come the questions.

(a) To what extent must banks examine the presented PO or sales confirmation? If included as an other document, I think most banks would probably examine under 14f and 14d
(b) Must banks ensure that there is no conflict between the PO or sales confirmation and the other stipulated documents? Assuming (a) above applies then yes

For examples, Purchase Order and sales confirmation showing Tenor:
60 days after sight whereas L/C required tenor at 60 days after B/L date.

Must we treat it as a discrepancy?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
LEUNG, KS

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

interesting

Post by shahriar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 pm

interesting idea from the part of the issuing bank; not full proof and not a good one though :)
in my opinion, if it is required as a document in the LC then it will be examined as a document and its data content must not be in conflict with the data content of other documents.

comments appreciated